Current Size: 100%
2 Creating and Sending Email
Creating a message
Click ‘New Mail’ (maybe called ‘Compose’, ‘Create’) button in the toolbar. A new message form is opened, and you will need to enter the email address of your recipient in the ‘To:’ field. Then click ‘Tab’, which will take you to ‘Subject’. Enter a word or brief phrase describing your message. Then ‘Tab’ to the message pane, where you can write the text of your message.
Sending your message
Click Send. Message is sent to the outbox folder and if you are connected to the internet, the email will be sent, otherwise it will be sent the next time you are on-line. Once it has been sent, the message is moved from the Outbox folder to the Sent Items folder. The taskbar indicates Outlook Express is sending mail so you are aware of what is happening.
When messages are being sent Outlook Express checks to see if there is any incoming mail. Any new messages will appear in the Inbox Mail folder. The number of messages received will be indicated on the Status Bar.
Quick Review: Creating/Sending an Email message
- Click on Create/Compose/New Mail
- In To: field enter email address of recipient
- If required in CC: field enter other recipients’ addresses (see section below, “Multiple Recipients”, for more information on this)
- In Subject field enter a word / phrase describing subject matter of email
- Type message in Message Pane
- Click Send
Below is a link to an instructional video,detailing these processes.
Creating a message for Multiple Recipients
To send an email to multiple people, firstly create an email message just as you would for creating a message to a single recipient. However. whenever you send an email to more than one person, do NOT use the To: or CC: columns for adding email addresses. Instead, always use the BCC: (blind carbon copy) column for listing the email addresses. This way, the people that you send to, only see their own email address. If you don’t see your BCC: option, click on where it says To: and your address list will appear. Highlight the address and choose BCC:
When you send to BCC: your message will automatically say “Undisclosed Recipients” in the To: field of the people who receive it. Then send as normal.
Quick Review: Sending an Email message to Multiple Recipients
1. Create an email as normal
2. Add extra email addresses in the BCC: field (If you don’t see this field, follow Steps 3 –6. If you can complete this step, skip ahead to Step 7)
3. If you don’t see your BCC: option, click on the To: option and your address list will open
4. Highlight the addresses of your intended recipients
5. Click BCC:
6. Click OK (recipients’ names will appear in the BCC: field of the email to be sent)
7. Click Send